Sunday, October 08, 2006

McQuaid

In the AP interview run on 2-Oct, Landis says, "I'm not hopeful this sport can be fixed as long as UCI is running it."

That was a pretty strong statement that seemed to come out of nowhere. What fueled his ire? On Sunday 8-Oct, he wrote on the Daily Peloton Forums,

I received a call from Pat Mcquaid, with whom I had never previously spoken on the phone, during which I was told that I should save my money and go home because it will be impossible for me to win. I told him that I had not done it and had to defend myself, to which he said; "Floyd, I think you're not a bad guy and I think you're an honest guy who made an honest mistake. And I am not saying that you did something that everyone else wasn't doing, I'm just saying that you got caught".
That was news -- The head of the UCI believes that everyone in the sport he runs is doping, and it is too bad for some unlucky guy who gets caught. This only came out because Lefevere decided to pile on and did an interview attributing "everyone does it" to Landis, not McQuaid, and this really annoyed Landis:
Needless to say I will not give them the opportunity to speak in private any more. I would have kept these conversations to myself had they not been used against me in public.
And, of course, there was that business about McQuaid talking publicly about the positive A sample being as bad as it could be before Landis knew himself.

Yeah, you can see how Landis could be disenchanted with the UCI's integrity when it comes to fixing the sport.

[end]

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

New Name for UCI= Union(of)Contemtuous Idiots. "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is............CONTEMPT PRIOR TO INVESTIGATION" Herbert Spencer(19th Century Sociologist and Historian)