Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Strbuk looks back

Starbuck, before Battlestar Galactica, coffee, and TBV, was Capt. Ahab's first mate on the Pequod.

What I will remember from my stint here, and what I think may be the point of all of "this" , is the people. The memories of all of the readers and contributors, all of those people who gave of their time and effort because they so strongly believed in a cause, in a just cause in their collective opinion, are what I'll take away from this experience.

This site was MY lifeline to the case which I was obsessed with myself, and I only got involved in this because I pestered TBV endlessly with articles to post which I had discovered in obscure corners of the web. He finally said, and I paraphrase, post them yourself it's easy. The rest is now history.

Yes, there were mornings when I cursed the fact that I had to get up at 4:30AM to start my never ending search for "anything Landis" because I had an early teaching day. In retrospect however most of the time it was great fun, and without slipping into the maudlin, it was a great honor to be able to do something no matter how commonplace to "help".

So now it's done, as it has to be. Floyd has finally been able to resume his life and so must all of us, it seems only fitting. I am of the opinion that some good comes from almost any situation, no matter how awful suffering through it may seem at the time. Only Floyd will know if any "good" came from his ordeal. I know for myself the "good" that came from "this" was the opportunity to meet so many wonderful people. And so I end this where I began it, with the people.

Good luck to everyone who I have had the pleasure to "meet" whether in person or on line; Dave, Sandra, Bill, Marc, Dan, all of the bloggers and contributors, to you all I wish good luck! Please stay in touch if you can. Finally, good luck to you Floyd. In all of your future pursuits no matter what the outcome may be on the field of play at least you know your case fostered a community of caring and dedicated people who stuck with you all the way. That's no small feat, friend. Now, get on your bike and kick some serious ass for ALL of us!!

- Paula

4 comments:

racejunkie said...

It's still a beautiful sport Str--don't let the Floyd debacle make you give up on it yet!

Regards and boundless gratitude,

RJ

Mike Solberg said...

Paula, thank you for all your work, especially the early mornings. The fruit of your labor was the first thing I looked at in the morning for a long time. A blessed new year to you and yours.

syi

strbuk said...

Thanks RJ and Mike, it's odd to think that TBV is no more...

Paula

daniel m (a/k/a Rant) said...

Paula,

Your work has been a huge part of all this. TBV has been a daily (often more than daily) part of my life for the last two-plus years. Thanks for all your hard work. Someday, we'll get a chance to meet in person.

Until then, best wishes and stay in touch.

- Dan