Saturday, December 13, 2008

Quote of the Day, re: Twitter

From the people who brought you the T shirt to wear around all the bloggers of your acquaintance,

More people have read this shirt... (Despair.com)

we find this description of Twittering:

[A] simple explanation of it is that it is instant-messaging meets a blog- whereby subscribers can follow me on my daily journey through various mundane duties, irritating conversations, pointless revelations, whatever I choose to write about. The catch- no message can be longer than 140 characters. Think of it as blogging live in haiku.

...

I take as a given that Twittering is a largely pointless exercise that seems best suited as an outlet for narcissists and input for stalkers. Having been both in my lifetime, I can admit that earlier versions of myself might have rapturously embraced it as liberating. I harbor no such illusions now.

5 comments:

UltraRob said...

You should try twittering. It may change your mind. Unless you're secretly already doing it but not admitting.

strbuk said...

I signed up a few weeks ago and think it's completely fatuous. I feel stupid enough putting up my cat bog every few weeks. This is what I always thought about blogging actually, it's stupid to think anyone would care what anyone else is doing with their day, unless they are loved ones of course. Then *I* got sucked in. LOL Maybe I'll get sucked into twittering too. For now facebook and MySpace seem to be enough.. :-)

bobble said...

Possibly the only useful Twitter function is that if you ever have crappy customer service from Comcrap and can't get it resolved with the usual chatbots, there's an executive at Comcast that monitors Twitter and gets things fixed asap.

By the way strbuk there's a typo in your Pat Metheny link ;)

strbuk said...

Dear Beeble, that is NOT my PM link with the typo, that's what blogger does when you list something of interest, THEY link it. Don't know how it works, but that's what they do >sigh<

str

bobble said...

That's mighty strange...